DURAND, Mich. –– Who can say they genuinely love going out into the frozen tundra, A.K.A. Michigan in the winter, to clear their driveway and car in the morning? No one? We thought so. Winter is the season of inconvenience if you park your car outdoors. Waking up in the morning knowing you’ll have to put some arm into scraping ice off your windows isn’t exactly a mood booster, and requiring extra time to allow your car to warm up is a pain to plan around. To ease the pain of winter, we’ve come up with some car hacks to make your winter mornings easier.
- Raise Your Windshield Wipers: You just need to remember to do this before you go inside for the night. You can also put long socks over your wipers to prevent your wipers from collecting ice.
- Put Plastic Bags on Your Mirrors: Gallon-size bags should fit your cars mirrors. Covering your mirrors with bags should prevent ice and snow from accumulating so you can see clearly when you’re rushing to get out of the driveway!
- Make Your Own Window De-Icer: Store bought de-icer sprays can get pricey if you’re using them a lot. A great recipe you can make at home is as simple as using an empty spray bottle, rubbing alcohol, dish soap, and water. Alternatively you can mix three parts vinegar to one part water in a spray bottle, which may not completely work with a thick layer of ice.
- De-fog Your Windows Easily: It may seem silly, but keeping a whiteboard/chalkboard eraser in your vehicle makes the process quick. You can also roll down the windows or blast the AC to quickly defog on the go. Another solution is keeping a sock filled with kitty litter in your car, which will contain odor and condensation.
- Scrape Ice in a Pinch: If you’re really in a pinch and can’t seem to locate your ice scraper you can use a plastic card, like a credit card, or spatula to scrape off ice.
- De-Ice Frozen Locks: There are a few solutions. You can use a straw to blow your warm breath onto the lock. You can also use a squirt of hand sanitizer, which contains rubbing alcohol that makes those stubborn locks movable again. Finally, running your key under a lighter will warm it up enough to then unfreeze the lock as you gently push it in. Spraying a little WD-40 ahead of time will prevent the lock from freezing.
- Prevent Freezing Doors: Cooking spray can do wonders for many things, including your car in the winter. Spray a little in the cracks of your doors and on the rubber. The spray will prevent melted water from sticking in one place to freeze.
Although winter can be a real drag, we hope these car hacks to make your winter mornings easier will help! We understand an old car can really be a pain because of the issues that come along with it. If you’re in need of a new battery, windshield wipers, or even a new car, we can help! We have great new models like the affordable Chevy Cruze and Chevy Equinox that warm up fast and run well in the winter.
Located at 9009 East Lansing Road Durand, MI 48429, Hank Graff Chevrolet Durand is revolutionizing the car buying experience. We provide all the transparency and customer service you need, while simultaneously making your purchase experience fun! Learn more about Hank Graff Chevrolet Durand, or for any questions contact us at (989) 288-2657 or visit our website at www.GraffChevyDurand.com!
Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube and Instagram